No wagtail-11:10

Shelley Theye just called and said the bird has not
been seen as of 11:10.

Susan Campbell and many others are still there.
The dense fog is starting to lift with some sunshine
beginning to break through.

I have had many questions about the bird's
exact location and movement.

The bird was not shy but we were relatively quiet and
stayed off the sand
and behind the trees that edge the sand.
As more birders arrived, the noise level increased and
there were more scopes out in the open but
the bird did not seem shy.

Where we first saw the bird:
Karen and I had been out on the sand about 1/3 of the
way from the left border of the swim beach
scoping for waterfowl
(8 Loons and 2 Lesser Scaup).
We did not see the bird until we sat at the second
picnic table from the left.
It came out of the scrubby brush at the left margin of
the beach at the water line.

The bird methodically worked its way from one side of
this man-made beach to the other.
When it got to the edge (brush, trees) it would
reverse direction.
It darted 2-3 feet, head down and body horizontal, for
insects, then would stand
upright and incessantly tail bob until it darted for
another bug.
It would occasionally flit and spread wings and/or
rectrices.

The sun just broke through here at my house but I am
~23 miles SW of Sandling Beach.

Good luck, all!

Jill Froning
s. of Chapel Hill, n. Chatham Co, NC