Purple Finch and Finch question

Had a female Purple Finch on the platform feeder this AM.   Was with Am.
Goldfinches.   Baltimore Oriole has been here for 4 days now, though very
sporadically on feeder, mostly eating grape jelly.

I have a question.   I have no experience with Lesser Goldfinches.   Are they
on the NC official list, and are they relatively easy to distinguish from Am.
Goldfinch?   Since yesterday I've had a Goldfinch in a fairly good size flock
at feeders.   I noticed it because it had no wingbars and looks a little
different, more uniformly darker, has a wider white patch on one of it's tail
feathers and yellowish undertail coverts.   Size-wise doesn't seem much
smaller.   I thought at first it could have been retaining the plain black
wing of the adult Am.'s summer plumage, but the wings aren't that black.
Doesn't look exactly like the Lesser's wings in my guides either.   Tried to
see the wing linings but isn't being very cooperative about that.

Shelley Theye

Shelley Theye
N. Chatham County, NC
Psbmt@aol.com