Samworth WMA &environs

Hi Carolinabirders,

    Late this morning I visited the Plantersville Area birding primarily
at Samworth WMA but also including several stops along the Plantersville
Loop Road including the Samworth Loop where the famous sparrow fields of
the past two winters were located, and a peek at the Plantersville turf
farm. All of this was in Georgetown County, SC.
    The sparrow fields I'm afraid have had it.  That cutover area is now
full of Loblolly Pine that is waist high to over your head high. I
didn't go in that field but birded from the road and I recommend that no
one else enter that area either as it is leased to a gun club.  I doubt
that it will be good for sparrows from now on.
    The morning was rather cool and a little windy but with lots of sun.
The afternoon became more cloudy. About an hour or so into birding
Felicia Sanders of SCDNR joined me and we birded together for most of
the afternoon. By my tally 35 species for me.
Turkey Vulture-5
Sharp-shinned Hawk-2
Killdeer-9 all at the sod farm
Mourning Dove-30
Barred Owl-2
Red-bellied Woodpecker-4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker-3
Downy Woodpecker-1 heard only
N. Flicker-4
Pileated Woodpecker-1 heard only
E. Phoebe-4
Blue Jay-some
Am. Crow-20+
Carolina Chickadee-4
Tufted Titmouse-8
White-breasted Nuthatch-2 heard only
Brown-headed Nuthatch-4
Carolina Wren-3
House Wren-1
Golden-crowned Kinglet-2
Ruby-crowned Kinglet-5
E. Bluebird-9
Hermit Thrush-2
Gray Catbird-2
N. Mockingbird-2
Loggerhead Shrike-1 along Plantersville Loop Road
Yellow-rumped Warbler-10
N. Cardinal-5
E. Towhee-4
Chipping Sparrow-12
Savannah Sparrow-5
Song Sparrow-2
White-throated Sparrow-3
Red-winged Blackbird-numerous in the Pee Dee River marshes
E. Meadowlark-22 in the hunt fields at Samworth
Common Grackle-15 flyovers.

In the mammal department a nice look at a Bobcat trotting down Samworth
Loop Road.
Also 8 species of butterflies.

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC