Lapland Longspur and other birds

C-birders,
Jo Ann Martin, Gordon and Suzanne Mills and I just spent the complete day on
Thursday 31st October at Huntington Beach  State Park, SC. While we did not
quite make the 100 species mentioned on Carolinabirds the other day (we made
96!), we did have some pleasant surprises.

The highlights follow:
Lapland Longspur 1 male behind dunes near the dredge area
Reddish Egret    1 in the back pool behind jetty
Hooded Merganser    1 male
Bald Eagle 8+, inc 5 soaring together!
Merlin 2
Chimney Swift 4
Barn Swallow 2
Purple Sandpiper 2
Hermit Thrush 8
Blue-headed Vireo 1
American Pipit 3
Painted Bunting 2 at feeders
Scarlet Tanager 1
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow 1

The oddest selection was along the jetty while we were looking for Purple
Sandpipers, we had 1 Indigo Bunting, 2 Grasshopper Sparrows (yes! 2), 1
Swamp Sparrow, 1 Song Sparrow, 1 Marsh Wren and 1 Palm Warbler, all feeding
or sheltering amongst the rocks. All afforded us excellent looks.
Also there was a very large southbound puch of both Monarchs and Gulf
Fritillaries.
A most enjoyable day birding. No wagtails though!!
Simon

Simon Thompson
Ventures Birding and Nature Tours
PO Box 1095