CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD STILL IN CASTALIA, NC

This morning Pat and I headed up to see the female CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD at Sharon Funderburk's home in Castalia, NC. We immediately saw the hummer in the low bushes beside her house upon our arrival at 9:00am . It was chasing a Tufted Titmouse at the time. The hummer then perched at the top of some trees in front of the house. We had great looks both with binoculars and a scope at various distances (15-50ft) as it worked around us.

I must agree with the previous observers that the id of this bird looks good. It appears to be very small and the tail is noticeably shorter than the wings. The pale cinamon color on the flanks is not nearly as prominent as with a Rufous or Allens. The bill is extremely thin and short. There was no central colored gorget feathers, but their was some faint streaking on the throat.

I took a few photos, but nothing fantastic since the hummer was always chasing other birds around the yard (Pheobes, Titmice, Chickadees, House Finches, etc.) The only birds I saw the hummer tolerate were a pair of Ruby-crowned Kinglets. The bird continuously made enormous 'U' shaped vertical flights as it dropped down on other birds. Very impressive.

We stayed until 10:30am, having almost continuous sight of the bird except when it perched too high and/or far back in a tall tree.

The second best bird of the day at Sharon's house was a late CAPE MAY WARBLER. This bird was working through the bushes at the side of the yard.

Thank you Sharon for letting us stop by.

-Brad & Pat Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com

Broadband? Dial-up? Get reliable MSN Internet Access. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp