Buntings, Hummer, Chat at HBSP

Carolina Birders:

Lynn and I just returned this evening (Sun., 11/3) from a business trip to
the SC Low Country. On the way home from Charleston, we spent a couple of
hours yesterday evening and this morning at Huntington Beach State Park where
we saw some notable birds. They weren't wagtails, but they were nice birds
anyway.

We were pleased to see that two green Painted Buntings are still coming to
the feeder at the Education Center. The hummingbird feeder also is being
visited by a hummer that looks like an immature male ruby-throat. (I didn't
see a band, Gary.) We were surprised to see a Yellow-breasted Chat a couple
of times in the cedars around the feeder. At one point it came out into the
sun and perched on a dead limb for a couple of minutes for all to see. Pretty
bird!

If anyone is still interested in Eurasian Collared Dove sightings, we spotted
a bunch at a site where we haven't seen them before. There were about eight
in a live oak tree next to Capt. Bill's Marina in Murrell's Inlet. We again
saw a Eurasian Collared Dove in Surfside Beach where we have seen (and
reported) them before.

By the way, I remember seeing Collared Dove spelled "collard" (like the
greens on a Southern dinner table) a year or two ago. We found the perfect
unpretentious side dish to be served with collard doves in a restaurant in
McClellansville: Candid Yams.

Dennis Burnette
Greensboro, NC
burnetted@aol.com