Project Feeder Watch Surprise

Good morning Carolinabirders,

Yesterday was my first observation period for Project Feeder Watch and all I can
say is "WOW".  Most of my yard is comprised of perennial flower beds bordered
with three very tall American hollies, maybe the last standing hedge of Photenia
(red tips) and several pecan trees.  With the cool rainy weather, I was
expecting my normal component of the typical urban birds and that is all I saw
when I first observed from 8-9.  At 10 I decided to watch for another half hour
and was blown away to find an adult Northern (Baltimore) Oriole at my ground
feeder!  From there it flew to the feeder with black oil sunflower seed.  I
looked away only to lose track of it but it sure made my first day of Project
Feeder Watch a roaring success.

Sunday afternoon I put up a feeder with jelly and oranges hoping to attract the
oriole again but feeling sure Sunday was to be a once in a lifetime look from my
garden.  To my great surprise and delight, the oriole was back again this
morning at 7:30.  The mourning doves chased it from the ground feeder, it flew
to the sunflower feeder, had a few morsels, cracked and ate a seed while perched
on the feeder and then flew back to the shrub by the ground feeder. It waited
patiently and watched the doves but then flew up to the top of the holly tree
and perched for about 20 minutes.  It was quite spectacular in full sun among
the holly berries and green foliage - tough to drag myself away and go to work.
I sure hope I can offer enough goodies to keep it for the winter!!  Any
suggestions?

Good birding,

Lena Gallitano
Raleigh, NC