Pea Island Oldsquaw & C. Goldeneye

Folks,

Thought that these were worth reporting since I had not seen them in 3
previous trips to Pea Island. Both were seen yesterday (12/7)from the
observation blind hidden along the side of the road at North Pond. Great
weekend altogther, but these and the Alligator River black bear were tops
for me!

A sad, but interesting note was the discovery of a Black-bellied Plover that
apparently landed and died on the path out to the far observation platform
at the Pea Island visitor center. It was in perfect condition feather-wise
and no bleeding or physical injury was apparent. I wonder if the extreme
cold of recent days would take a toll on shorebirds such as this?

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC