Brown Thrasher at feeder

Guys & Gals,

This morning, I observed a Brown Thrasher visiting the feeding station at
the Charlotte Nature Museum. I suppose the Thrasher's consumption of corn
and millet is just an indication of how challenged many winter birds are by
the weather in recent days. I am aware that Carolina Wrens have been
observed at feeders on occasion, but I have never heard of such behavior by
a BT. The bird came in and picked up a whole grain of corn, flew a short
distance away and proceeded to hammer the corn grain into fragments. I knew
that BTs eat fleshy fruits such as holly berries, but didn't think that they
would have much of a taste for corn.

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC