Hermit Thrushes

     For the past few days we've had the unexpected pleasure of a pair
of Hermit Thrushes feeding on the ground under our feeding station.
We've seen them before in the Firethorn bush or feeding on Lariope
berries but never under the feeders.It took a few minutes but it finally
dawned on me what was going on. Last Fall we put up a Woodpecker feeder
from WBU. The food blend they sell for this feeder includes melon seeds,
corn, peanuts, sunflower seeds, suet bits and dried fruit (mostly
cherries, I think). Apparently the Hermit Thrushes are finding pieces of
the dried fruit the Woodpeckers, Chickadees, Nuthatches, Titmice etc.
drop on the ground.
     We've also had our first Fox Sparrows of the winter during the icy
spell.
Ken Yount
Wentworth, N.C.