Reminder -- CBC meeting and duck season

Folks:
	I have no idea why the Carolina Bird Club decided to hold its winter
meeting so early in January. Maybe for the first time, it now is WITHIN
the duck hunting season. This lasts thru January 20 (swans and geese go
into February). The meeting at Washington, NC, is Jan. 16-18.
Specifically, duck hunting will be taking place (presumably) on a
portion of Mattamuskeet NWR on that Saturday. Of course, on private
lands we can expect a few duck hunters on Friday and Saturday, and there
are a number of private waterfowl impoundments adjacent to the refuge
where there MIGHT be hunters.  Most of Mattamuskeet NWR is off limits to
hunting (causeway, eastern and maybe western impoundments), but hunting
does take place near the wildlife drive on the south shore, and maybe
other places.

Thus, trip organizers and leaders need to be aware that duck hunters
may/will still be around on Friday and Saturday. This might affect how
and where a few trips go. Thankfully, the deer season ends on January 1,
so there won't be the conflict that Christmas bird counters often have
to deal with on Saturdays in December. (There is no hunting allowed, of
any kind, in NC on Sundays.)
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program