Nest Building Herons???

Dear Birders,

This morning I noticed three herons checking out the seven surviving nests
here at Greenview Pond.
Two were sitting on nests.  I also observed them carrying sticks to the
nests and squabbling with each other.

I've never seen herons building nests here in December.  Generally they get
started in late January.

We also have a young escaped bull running around here.  He likes to hang out
on the island in the pond.  He seems harmless enough, but if you are
visiting Greenview, I'd avoid approaching him.

John Argentati
Greenview Pond
Raleigh, North Carolina

Greenview Pond is located on Blaney Franks Road, just west of Lake Wheeler,
in Raleigh North Carolina.  In spite of the fact that it's just a small farm
pond and marsh, the Wake County Audubon Society has observed over 200
species of birds there over the years.

Birders are always welcome to park in front of our house and bird watch from
our property.  We live at 2429 Lullwater Drive overlooking Greenview Pond.
It's a yellowish house with a triangular window facing the street and a
boardwalk to the front door.