Re: scarce pine warblers?

My personal experience (mostly in the Triangle area) is that Pine Warblers
are hard to find in November and December because they're mostly silent.  In
January, they start to sing again and then get a lot easier to find.

--Erik Thomas
Johnston Co., NC, & NCSU
barbarahunter919@aol.com

>Adding to the thread about birds in abundance or lack-there-of this winter,
I've noticed pine warblers to be in low numbers this year (at least so
far).  Last winter the trees ringing the lot where I park at Duke were full
of them: so far this (almost) winter I have not heard one.  We also found
only one individual during the Durham CBC Sunday (we counted at the Old
Oxford Highway impoundment vicinity).  Is it early yet - or has anyone else
noticed this?
Laura Lewis-Tuffin
Durham, NC