Durham CBC results

We had a great day for birding December 15th on the Durham CBC. The totals were 89 species, 10,431 individuals. Waterfowl were without a doubt the highlights of the day. We had 11 species of ducks!!, topped by over 200 Ruddy Ducks, and a Red-breasted Merganser. Will Cook had an outstanding day with 72 species on his own, highlighted by our first ever Greater Black-backed Gulls, two no less. He also found our only Screech Owl (in the daylight!), and 27 Evening Grosbeaks for icing on the cake.

Species impacted by West Nile Virus were not apparent in our count circle. Raptors were at normal levels, as were crows. 67 Blue Jays were less than half their 10 year average, but they are very cyclic in our area anyhow, frequently recorded in lower numbers than this.

Many thanks to all my observers, especially Josh Rose, who was a great help organizing this year's count.

Mike Schultz
Durham, NC