Tea and shade ?

shade-grown, below is a gardener's description of the plant:

Tea is actually made from the young processed leaves the Camellia plant
(Camellia sinensis).  The plant is an evergreen, medium sized shrub (4-6 ft.)
and can be grown in zones 7-9 much like our familiar Camellia japonica and C.
sasanqua.   It is native to S. E. Asia.

The flowers bloom in the fall and are solitary within the axils of the
leaves. They are white to 1½"  in diameter and are fragrant.

Camellia sinensis needs full sun to part shade. They prefer a well drained,
neutral to slightly acidic soil rich in organic matter (2 parts peat moss or
compost to 2 parts loam to 1 part sand or perlite). The root hairs are very
fine, so the plant cannot be allowed to dry out completely. Increase watering
when the plant is actively growing and when the plant is in bloom. Fertilize
every 2-3 weeks in the spring through fall.

This information may be more than our readers want to know but it is relevant
in that it seems to imply that the plant prefers sunny situations (at least
as an ornamental).  I would presume that the same would hold true for
commercial tea cultivation.

Len Kopka
Simpsonville, SC