Ellerbe Creek; Phragmites

Hi Carolinabirders,

Inspired by Kelly Davis' comments about Phragmites, I did a little on-line
research on the topic. The outcome: Phragmites is both native AND exotic
in the US! Apparently the same species, but genetically distinct
populations, occurs in both the US and Europe. But while the native strain
has a restricted range and harbors many bird and other animal and plant
species, the invasive European strain spreads and invades rapidly and
creates monocultures with far less biodiversity than the communities it
displaces. The key difference, as far as I can tell, is that the native is
suceptible to various sorts of fungi and its dead stalks break down
rapidly, while the European import is fungus-resistant and far less
biodegradable. I've added links to this information on the Exotic Species
section of my website at
http://www.duke.edu/~jsr6/Exotics.html
The section on Phragmites is about 1/3 of the way down.

The part that might most interest folks on this listserv is an article by
Richard Kane of New Jersey Audubon on birds that use Phragmites habitat:
http://www.njaudubon.org/Conservation/opinions/05-012.html
Which raises the question, which strain lives at Mattamuskeet? And how do
the bird populations and diversity in Phragmites there compare to the
various marshes in New Jersey? (and can somebody get those Sandhill Cranes
and the Black-headed Gull to stay put until I get out there for the CBC
winter meeting next weekend?)

I decided to pass up the organized group birding trips this weekend (it
sounds like the CHBC, NHAS, and Wake Audubon all had trips going out) and
bird my own little corner of town. I started at the Ellerbe Creek beaver
swamp (behind Big Lots on Avondale Road in Durham), and hiked from there
down along Ellerbe Creek. I eventually crossed an abandoned railroad track
which led me out to Club Boulevard, then walked back along Club to my car.

Before I even started, a Sharp-shinned Hawk circled low over Roxboro Road
as I drove to my destination. Where I first reached the edge of the marsh,
a skulking bird in the grass got me excited, but it turned out to be a
Winter Wren which for some reason preferred marshy grass over its species'
usual haunts among fallen trees (I was hoping for a Sedge Wren). I scared
up a Field Sparrow not far from there, while a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
called in the distance; I've now tallied 5 of the 7 local woodpecker
species there, not too surprising given how many trees the beavers have
killed either directly (by chewing) or indirectly (by flooding). Still
need Hairy and Pileated.

I crossed a sewer line and used the pipes as a makeshift boardwalk to
enter the marsh with dry feet. No marsh birds out there, but there were
approximately 14 scads of Swamp, Song, and White-throated Sparrows in the
vicinity. The woods along the creek downstream of there were pretty quiet,
with a Ruby-crowned Kinglet the best I could find. At the railroad I
discovered a flock of 20-plus Cedar Waxwings in what looked like a large
privet patch; I scolded them harshly for helping to spread exotic plant
species, and they left, ashamed of themselves (kinda like when my wife
catches me snacking right before bedtime). A huge flooded swampy area with
tons of dead trees just upstream of the railroad was surprisingly bird-
poor, with no woodpeckers and a lone Great Blue Heron the only waterbird.
A Phoebe, two Bluebirds, and a calling Golden-crowned Kinglet added
themselves to my list along Club before I returned to my car and called it
quits for the day.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose