LAKE MATTAMUSKEET TODAY

This week Pat and I returned from a wonderful 25 day trip to Brazil. This weekend we decided to do a little birding to get the year started in North Carolina. We did some local birding yesterday, and today we headed to Lake Mattamuskeet.

The highlight of the day was a WESTERN KINGBIRD on the causeway just north of the observation platform. The bird was eating berries from many of the bushes lining the eastern edge of the causeway. At some points, the bird actually dropped down and sat on the paved road on the causeway. There was a group of no less than four (4) BALTIMORE ORIOLES in the same berry bushes.

Also of note is a wintering GREEN HERON in the pond just north of the pump house.

We had one ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER on the wildlife trail after you cross the dike east of the pumphouse.

We spent some time around noon looking for the Sandhill Cranes at the Lake Landing impoundments, but they were not there today. We also looked for the Black-headed Gull and/or White Pelicans that have frequented the causeway in the past, but came up empty handed.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday.

-Brad & Pat Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com