Greater White-fronted Goose

While birding the Sneads Ferry (Onslow Co. NC) water treatment plant
today (Sun. 01/19/03) I spied 2 Greater White-fronted Geese.  They were
in a mixed flock 40 Canada Geese and 3 Snow Geese.  They both had the
white patch at base of orange bill, a white line separating belly from
wings, dark tail with white tip, and bright orange legs and feet.  I did
not notice the irregular black spots on belly, but as I am new to
birding I wasn't specifically looking. Other birds of interest
Green-winged Teal, Greater Scaup, (mostly) Ruddy Ducks, Northern
Harrier, a couple of Kestrels, (many) Black-bellied Plovers, and (8)
Common Snipe. Along with many other common species.  I was looking for
Cave Swallows since some were seen at Onslow Beach and Sneads Ferry is
not far.  There were 100's of Tree Swallows but didn't see any Cave
Swallows.

Andy Webb
Jacksonville, NC
jwebb3@ec.rr.com
Life's short. If you don't look around once in a while you might miss
it.