Cave Swallow at Savannah NWR, SC

Hi C-Birders,

Today Caroline Eastman and I decided to try for a Cave Swallow in South
Carolina and so spent the day (Sunday, 19 Jan 2003) birding Hampton and
Jasper Counties, South Carolina (and a bit in Chatham County, Georgia),
looking for a Cave Swallow. We found one, with a few Tree Swallows, at the
same place on Savannah NWR that Kathleen O'Grady and Carroll Richard found
one on the Savannah CBC. We observed the Cave Swallow hawking for insects in
various places just north of SC 170 at about 3:00 PM. At one point the
swallow swooped within 20 feet of us!  What a thrill!

We ran into local (Ogeechee Audubon) birders who told us that an immature
White-crowned Sparrow and a Wilson's Warbler are both being seen regularly
near the toilets at the beginning of the auto tour route. Caroline and I did
not find either of these goodies, but never mind that. It is really tough
for either of us to get a new bird for our  South Carolina lists without
getting on a boat, but we did just that today. Thanks, Kathleen and Carroll,
for spreading the word about the Savannah NWR Cave Swallow.

Robin Carter
Columba, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com