Painted Bunting, et al. - Charleston SC

Hi folks.

This morning we had a female Painted Bunting show up
at our feeders with the 100+ member flock of
Goldfinches.  I say female (rather than female or
immature) due to the extent and vividness of the
bird's green coloration.   We got multiple great
looks; some at less than 10 meters.  Post and
Gauthreaux (1989) mention only 12 winter reports of
this bird from the South Carolina Coastal Plain.

As on all recent days we also observed a pair of
Baltimore Orioles.  One bird is an adult female and
the other is an immature male.  Since most of our
Camellia Sasanqua flowers got fried by the freezing
weather, the Orioles have switched to eating a lot of
Tallow berries.  -- I know non-native invaders, those
Tallow trees.

Of local (suburban) interest, a Fox Sparrow also put
in its daily appearances with the flock of Song and
White-throated Sparrows.

Nathan Dias  - Charleston, SC.