Santee NWR report

For people interested in the latest from Santee NWR in S.C.:
I went down this morning to try for the Sandhill Cranes.  I didn't make
it to the observation platform in the Bluff Unit until 8:30am, but with the
overcast conditions, I hoped the Cranes would hang around later than
yesterday (they left at 7:52am according to Lloyd Moon).  Indeed they did--
the 17 Cranes (a state bird for me) were across the field when I arrived.
To the left of them was the solitary Greater White-fronted Goose, where
it could be carefully studied.

In a few minutes, the Goose was joined by over 350 Canada Geese plus one
conspicuous white Snow Goose.  The Sandhill Cranes took flight and flew
away and to the left at 8:50am, unfortunately a few minutes before
Roger Smith and Tom Hankins arrived on the scene.  Five Tundra Swans flew
overhead.  In the water we spotted at least ten N. Pintails, some Mallards,
and many Ring-necked Ducks.

Roger and Tom led me to the Dingle Pond Unit.  We got to hear calls from
very close King and Virginia Rails (but no views), two more species missing
from my state list.

At the Cuddo Unit, no interesting Sparrows flushed in the field along the
entry road, though we got a Sedge Wren.  However, along one road is a large
house-shaped box atop a tall metal pole (perhaps 25' high), and we got
to see a gorgeous Barn Owl fly out.  This is another bird for my state
list, making it a very pleasant and rewarding day of birding!

Jerry Griggs     j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC