Fwd: Bay Bridge Tunnel

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:55:59 -0800 (PST)
From: jeff lewis <jlewis_obx@yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: Bay Bridge Tunnel
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu

Note: forwarded message attached.

From: Topatneal@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 10:32:19 EST
Subject: Bay Bridge Tunnel
To: jlewis_obx@yahoo.com

Jeff,

We decided to go to the CBBT on the 25th because it was a better date
for us
than Feb. 1.
We were a party of four:  Peggy Eubanks, Bob Burrell, Neal and me.  The

weather was the best we'd ever had there:  sunshine, very little wind,
no
snow or ice on driving surfaces.
Although we had a foot of snow here in Buxton, and the roads are still
packed
with thick stuff in shady places, the highway was clear north of
Rodanthe.
Gulls were in short supply at CBBT.  Their perching places, the
boulders,
with the exception of those closest to the water, were covered with
thick
snow and ice.   We were thrilled to find rafts and rafts of ducks.

I'm going to list our birds and I would appreciate it if you would send
the
list to carolinabirds.
My computer does not work well with c'birds and I don't know how to
adjust it.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Jan 15, 2003

Brown Pelican
D-c and Great Cormorant
Turkey Vulture
Ducks: Redhead
Greater and Lesser Scaup
Common Eider
Harlequin
Surf and Black Scoter - both in very large rafts
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Ruddy Turnstone
Purple Sandpiper
Gulls: Ring-billed
Herring
Great Black-backed
American Crow

Neal and Pat Moore
Bob Burrell
Peggy Eubanks

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Box 90340, Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27708