RDU N.Shovelers/Redheads

In addition to the sightings mentioned at Lake Crabtree etc...

The small reservoir at the corner of I40 and 540 had a few treats yesterday as I was rushing home to catch the end of THE GAME (GO PACK !) Exiting off I40 WEST onto 540 there is a flood control reservoir on the right with just a few small circles of unfrozen water.

3 Redheads and 4 Northern Shovelers, a few Buffleheads along with lots of the usual Mallards, Gadwals, Widgeons, Ringnecks and L Scaup.

The afternoon lighting and visibility are EXCELLENT if you pull over (carefully) on to the shoulder of the ramp and look down on the birds. Super views of the N Shovelers both in and out of the water.

Spoke to ranger at Umstead SP Saturday. They have hired a contractor to clear off the trails on the Crabtree side (Reddy Creek side has re-opened) and expect to open in 4-6 weeks. The damage was as bad or worse than Hurricane Fran.

Peace and Happiness Brian T. Murphy www.mindspring.com/~brmurphy Science Dept. Millbrook High School http://mhs.wcpss.net AP Environmental Science http://mhsapes.home.mindspring.com Physical Science http://mhsps.home.mindspring.com Outdoor Adventure Club http://mhsoac.home.mindspring.com Raleigh, NC, USA