Dorchester Co., SC Sandhill Cranes & Western Tanager - 1/31/03

The Sandhill Cranes reported by Michell Greenberg/Dennis Forsythe on 1/19 &
1/20 were seen today, 1/31 at 1:15 pm and again at 3:45pm.  These 15 cranes
can be seen feeding in a corn field on the west side of I-26, mile marker
180, next to the Green Acres barn.  At 1:15 they were close enough to the
Interstate to be seen as I sped down I-26, at 3:15 they were pretty far back
in the corn field.

The Western Tanager reported by Bob Chinn on 1/30 was seen today at 2:30pm.
I got to the house at 2:05 pm and at 2:30 the tanager flew into a tree in
Ms. Haley's neighbor's yard.  The tanager never visited the feeders,
probably because of the aggressive grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds
dominating the action.  Again, the owner is Shirley Hale and her address is
201 Honeysuckle Lane, Summerville.  This is in the Quail Arbor V subdivision
off Old Trolley Rd.

Mike Turner
Columbia, SC