Fox Sparrows

Sunday morning (2/2) Louise and I spotted a small flock of four Fox Sparrows
in Evergreen Nature Preserve [Charlotte-See birding site #4 on Meck. Aud.
website at http://www.meckbirds.org/birdingspots/county.htm ] along the
woods trail near the basketball court.  About the same time, Eric Harrold
saw a flock of 10+ Fox Sparrows in Reedy Creek Park [#13 on the above web
map].  I wonder whether they are simply wintering flocks or are they
beginning to move north?

We were struck by the contrast in behavior between the Fox Sparrows and the
other more common species nearby.  As we watched them from close range
(15-20 feet) they sat perfectly still for several minutes, like thrushes,
never twitching their tails or moving their heads like Song and
White-throats would.  The reddish rumps and strong breast markings even
seemed reminiscent of Hermit Thrushes.

Larry

Larry Barden, Larry@LBarden.com,
1501-G Lansdale Drive, Charlotte, NC, 28205, 704-535-6385