CBBT on Sunday Feb. 2

We saw the same sea ducks and other birds reported by
Jeff Lewis, except we couldn't find the common
eiders...lots of scaup, long-tailed ducks, black
scoters (which we heard "sing"--incredible sound, like
songbirds), surf scoters, etc.

Hope i can be permitted one non-bird question:

On Island #3 we saw four seals. One was notably larger
than the other 3 and colored somewhat differently.
When we got home we consulted our mammal reference
book and decided that the 3 smaller ones were the
harbor seal, which occurs off the Va. and NC coast
fairly regulary during winter and spring (we've seen
this species before and feel confident about the
identity). However, we're wondering about the larger
seal.  When viewing it, we speculated that it was also
a harbor seal, but probably a larger male, while the 3
smaller ones were likely females harbor seals...the
book did say the males were larger, but did not
mention a different coloration. Under harp seals, the
coloration sounded more like the big one--especially
the mention of a "black" saddle like marking across
the back--this was distinct.  Can anyone help with
this identification?

thanks, hope i haven't stepped too far afield from
bird questions...if so, my apologies.

=====
--Linda Jeannette Ward
--P.O. Box 231