Birds and Mammals

Hello,

I thought I'd post a note about our Avian Biology field trip last
weekend.  Not only did we get to help band some Tundra Swans at Pungo
Lake, but we found a number of other good birds and critters along the
way.  Those heading to the Outer Banks may want to keep an eye out for
a female Common Eider that was just off Hatteras Point last Saturday.
There were also a number of Lesser Black-backed Gulls around the
point.

The evening ferry trip across Pamlico Sound (from Swan Quarter to
Ockracoke) was also well worth it.  We counted ~ 100 Long-tailed Ducks
and the sound was full of thousands of scoters.

The highlight of our trip, however, were the Red Wolves at Alligator
River.  We had great looks at two of them (one with a collar) as they
sauntered across a field about 300 ft in front of us.  Not often that
one sees an eider, Hump-backed Whales and wolves on the same day.....

Cheers,

Matthew McKown & Haven Wiley
Ecology Curriculum
UNC-Chapel Hill