interesting hummingbird behavior

On January 24 and 25, following the big snow here on January 23, I
observed interesting behavior by a female Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
She spent hours chasing little specks of snow--which were produced when
melting piles of snow were falling from the red cedar in the front, and
these were then disintegrating into hundreds of tiny fragments, which
then floated down.  I wonder if she thought they were small insects.
Anyway, I was glad that a few days later there were swams of real
insects (dipterans?--Clyde, you were supposed to let me know what these
are) for her to chase.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]