mcclellanville, santee coastal reserve, santee delta, 2-8-03

hi y'all,

banded a second-year male Rufous hummingbird in McClellanville, SC this
morning.

made a short trip thru SCR on the way back (sans scope.) fair number of
waterfowl, plenty of landbird activity. highlights were:

P-b Grebe - 100+ including a "raft" of 40+ (never saw that many grebes
together)
GB Heron - numerous
Great Egret
Tricolored Heron
Wood Stork - 22 all imm. perched in an oak alongside the road before the
impoundments, along wth several GB herons and Great Egret (no ibis at all
this a.m.)
Canada Goose
Am. Black Duck
Mallard
Mottled Duck
Blue-winged Teal
N. Shoveler
Northern Pintail - numerous
Green-winged Teal
Canvasback - a flock of 50 or so came in just before I left. very nice.
Redhead
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Hooded Merg.
Bald Eagle
Cooper's Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
King Rail - flew across a canal and landed in the road
Common Moorhen (where are the coots? all dead from brain lesions?)
Dunlin - 6
Caspian Tern
Forster's Tern
Great Horned Owl
Tree Swallow - numerous (no Cave)
B-h Nuthatch
W-b Nuthatch
8 woodpecker spp.
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Winter Wren
Marsh Wren
both kinglets
E. Bluebird
Hermit Thrush
Am. Robin
Gray Catbird
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing
Yellow-rumped
Pine
Palm
Common Yellowthroat
Bachman's Sparrow - 1 serendipitous sighting perched in a small tree
alongside the entrance road (no Chippies at all?)
Fox - singing
Song
Swamp
White-throated

stopped at the santee delta, where i ran into steve and barbara thomas. they
had a few good birds that i missed. anyway, the delta had:

GB Heron - with a big ol' crawdad
N. Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Am. Kestrel
Red-bellied Wp.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Wp.
Hairy Wp.
N. Flicker
Tree Swallow - numerous
Carolina, House and Marsh wrens (all chided me for staring)
Hermit Thrush
both kinglets
Yellow-rumps - abundant
Common Yellowthroat - several
Song, Swamp, and White-throated sparrows
Am. Goldfinch

red maple flowering profusely here in the coastal plain of SC. also a wild
plum in bloom. it was good to be outside.

cheers,
gary

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)