Re: northeast Durham county; Birds of Conservation Concern

Josh,

FYI: Black Rails probably breed in certain sedge marshes near Townville, SC
and also in similar marshes along the SC - GA border along the Tugaloo
River. Black Rails definitely breed in the GA Piedmont. Here in Columbia, SC
we consider eastern GA as "around these parts" and we even bird there from
time to time.

As for Upland Sandpipers, there is a slim change that they might breed
rarely in the Piedmont of northern Virginia or Maryland. Alas, I have no
real feeling that this species breeds in the Carolinas, but stranger things
have been known to happen. What about those Bobolinks near Brevard? True,
this is not the Piedmont, but it's darn close to the Piedmont of Greenville
and Spartanburg Counties, SC. Could there be Upland Sandpipers someday
breeding in a meadow near Landrum or Townville? We should keep our eyes
open, and also listen for the whistles.

The only Bewick's Wren that I have even seen in South Carolina was at the
northern edge of the SC Piedmont in northern Greenville County, just
southwest of Landrum. There was no evidence of breeding, but hope springs
eternal.

I certainly hope that it's a bit premature to count these species out
completely as Piedmont breeders. Black Rails are definitely still with us in
the Piemont.

Always hopeful,

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC