The motionless Downy

Now that Laura L-Tuffia mentioned it in an a-email yesterday I have been wanting to comment on this phenomena. Of all the birds at our feeder in 20 years I have not observed the motionless act, but the reverse is true at our daughter's house in PA. Every time we visit them there is a period in the day when not only Downys freeze but also Titmouse, Chickadees, and any other visible bird at the time would freeze for two or three minutes, (It seemed a lot longer). The daughter's theory is that a hawk was in the neighborhood.
A hawk does fly through their yard occasionally but she has never been able to see a hawk perched around when the 'freezing' takes place. She says it must happen several time a week, though she is not home during working hours. Any additional theories I'll forward on.
E Snavely Loris, SC 843 756 4824 snavely4@sccoast.net