Black Guillemot, Outer Banks

Hi,

I'm a visiting birder from No. Virginia.  While
birding behind my motel on Rte. 12 in Kill Devil
Hills this morning, Saturday the 15th of Feb., I saw
what I believe to be a Black Guillemot in the ocean.
It was initially swimming and diving about 50 feet off
the shore, later gradually moving out to over 200
feet.  I watched it for over an hour.  It was sitting
on the water for much of time, and preening, too.

It appears to be changing to breeding plumage, as
it's not whitish but not blackish, either.  Rather,
it's mostly a mottled gray on the head, neck, throat,
back, breast and sides.  It sports a white wing patch
with black behind it, whitish underneath (seen when
it's preening), a dusky bill, possibly dark eye, and
dusky primaries.  The tail appeared to be mottled
dusky.

When it flapped it's wings, the underneath was whitish
with dusky edges.  This bird was smaller than the med.
sized gulls that were initially near it.  At least on
a few dives, it spread it's wings out as it was going
under.

The conditions weren't great for viewing this bird, as
it was raining most of the time and visibility was
sometimes not the greatest.

I wanted to get the word out about the bird ASAP.
I'm glad I found a library nearby with internet
access.

The motel I am staying at is the Days Inn - Wilbur
and Orville Wright in Kill Devil Hills at about
milepost 8 1/2 on Rte. 12.  I'm not sure if there's
public access to the beach nearby but I think there
is.  I won't be home until Monday night.  I will try
to check email tomorrow but I don't know if I'll have
time.  I suppose you can try calling the motel and
reaching me if you have questions, as I don't have a
cell phone.  I'm staying in Room 125.

Scott Baron
Fairfax, Va.
brnpelican@yahoo.com