Black-chinned Hummingbird

hi y'all,

this morning, ritch lilly and i traveled to the very birdy yard of Liz
Smylie on Edisto Island, SC where i banded an adult male Black-chinned
Hummingbird. even under the dreary gray conditions, the violet band of
feathers across the bottom of his gorget was visible to all. this tiny
treasure gave us a veritable "Kodak moment" when time came for his release.
While laying on Liz's outstretched palm he fluttered his wings briefly,
moved backward and stood up in her hand! Then he looked around, chiirped,
and despite gentle coaxing, refused to fly away. Liz handed the bird to me,
where he laid in my hand and chirped. Finally, he flew up and perched in a
nearby maple. A short while later he was back at his feeder, business as
usual. Amazing little bird. He couldn't have found a better place to spend
the winter.
Not content with the morning's excitement, ritch and i returned north via
Summerville where we saw the brilliant Western Tanager frequenting the
feeder in the Hale's yard.
I thought it was a pretty good day, y'all.

;-)
gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)