Outer Banks late posting, Eared Grebe, no Black Guillemot

Hi,

Sorry for the late post but I finally got home to No.
Virginia yesterday afternoon (Tue.) after the storm
subsided.  Now I'm back at work with access to the
internet.

I want to follow up on my sighting of Saturday's Black
Guillemot in Kill Devil Hills.  Despite searching
behind my motel again on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I
was not able to relocate the Black Guillemot.
Conditions were less than satisfactory for viewing
birds on or over the ocean, though, esp. on Sunday,
which had the worst fog and wind of the trip, as well
as rain.  In fact, I never saw any other alcids all
weekend anywhere on the Outer Banks, although I know
that others did see some.

Also on Saturday I saw an Eared Grebe at Cape Point at
the Cape Hatteras Nat'l Seashore, specifically a
couple hundred feet north of the tip of the point.  It
was swimming and diving as close as 15 feet from the
shoreline.  It was in almost the same spot that I saw
one last year on President's Day weekend.

Other sightings, both on Saturday:  100's of Cedar
Waxwings along Rte. 12 and at Cape Hatteras in the
CHNS.  3 Turkey Vultures near the ranger station at
Cape Hatteras.

Scott Baron
Fairfax, Va.