Volunteers for hummingbird study

My name is Michael Nannini and I am a post doctoral ecologist working in
the Environmental Protection Agency's National Center for Environmental
Assessment in Research Triangle Park, NC.  I am working with another EPA
scientist, Gary Hatch, to try and develop a project to examine the
effects of ground-level ozone on hummingbird activity.  We have chosen
hummingbirds due to their high metabolic activity since humans are more
heavily impacted by ozone during high metabolic activities.  In a small
pilot project last summer a negative correlation was found between ozone
concentration and hummingbird activity.  However, other factors, such as
temperature, were also correlated with hummingbird activity.  This year
we are looking to expand this study to better understand the
relationship between ozone concentration and hummingbird activity.  We
hope to expand the number of hummingbird monitoring stations from 1 to 6
and we plan on monitoring activity over the course of the breeding
season (last year only examined July and August).  We think the impact
of ozone on these small birds could be substantial and possibly at lower
ozone concentrations than the current standards set for humans.

In order to expand the number of sites, we need volunteers who would be
willing to allow us to set up hummingbird activity monitors on their
property (feeder, detector, temperature monitor, and computer all
provided by us).  We are looking to set up these monitors in specific
areas that are close to state-operated ozone monitoring equipment.  For
sites to be effective, hummingbird feeders should be in a shaded area
and volunteers would need to have a designated area for a PC computer
with wires running from the PC to the monitoring equipment outside.  We
would need to set up the equipment by the beginning of April and
volunteers would also be asked to give some attention to the monitoring
setup to make sure it is working properly.  Hummingbirds would not be
handled or harmed in any way, their presence at the feeder would be
detected by an infrared detector at the feeder.  If anyone is interested
in participating in this project please reply to nannini.michael@epa.gov
or call me at (919)541-1456.  The list of potential sites and the
locations of ozone monitoring stations are listed below.  We would like
to get as close to the addresses provided as possible, so please include
an address and contact information in any replies.

Charlotte, NC                                   Enochville, NC
Eastway Drive and The Plaza                     Enochville Avenue and
Smith Road

Pittsboro, NC                                   Kenansville, NC
Chatham County                            Duplin County

Raleigh, NC                                     Fuquay-Varina, NC
Spring Forest Road near highway 1                     North-East part of
town
Or
North State Street near highway 401

Sincerely,