Re: Bird Counts and Statistical Validity

Nathan,

As a 15 year Breeding Survey participant and a
Christmas birder for 22 years, and as the former compiler
of the Charleston count, I have to say I agree with Charlotte. The "errors"
you refer to are largely
obviated by the careful methods under which a complier
must submit the data for a Christmas Count. Remember,
we are looking for population trends, not small differences
in rare or accidental occurances. The BBS certainly has
a more "reliable" methodogy, and there are weaknesses
in certain counts, but I would maintain the Charleston
count data is very reliable for trends of local bird popualations over the
past 40 years. Just test the data, compare the data to any other measure and
you will see.
It is remarkable how predictable the results for a Christmas count can be.
This for me is a strong indication
of statistical reliability.

Nathan, I would recommend you compile a Christmas count for a few years and
test your theories. In any event,
it is fun to read your opinions and to be with you in the field. I look
forward to that opportunity again.

Yours for truth and science,
Steve Compton
scompton@sc.rr.com