Re: vacation!

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Marcie Jacklin wrote:

> We are travelling to the Carolinas next week. Could I ask for some tips on
> this list? This will be my first time birding in this area. We are from
> Fort Erie (close to Buffalo) in Canada.
>
> We will be staying close to Beaufort/St Helena for 5 days. On
> the way down we are staying near Marlesboro and then near Danbury on
> the way back. Any information about speciality birds or good birding
> locations this time of year would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Marcie,

You might need to specify which state. There is a Beaufort in both NC and
SC (pronounced differently, but spelled the same), and *both* have a St.
Helena nearby!

If you're headed to the NC Beaufort (pronounced like "Beauregard"), stop
in a bookstore or birders' supply store and buy a copy of "A Birder's
Guide to Coastal North Carolina". It should supply you with more birding
destinations than you'll have time to visit.

If you're going to the SC Beaufort (pronounced like "beautiful"), the book
for SC is out of print, but there are some useful websites, for instance
http://www.midnet.sc.edu/audubon/calendar.htm
or
http://www.homestead.com/cnhsaudubon/Chasbirding.html

Good birding,