Update on Long-tailed Ducks in Gaston County

Hello All,

    I went out in the canoe this evening about 6 pm to determine if the Long-tailed Ducks were still hanging around. The male was still present alone in the central portion of Robinwood Lake. At one point he would have been seen easily by anyone pulling up to the landing area perhaps 50 yards offshore. I have no idea what may have happened to the female. Perhaps she finally asked for directions and took off without him. He has been here for at least two weeks. I don't know if he will be more or less likely to stay around, if something happened to his mate. Anyone wanting to see this rare inland visitor should probably try soon. I am surprised he has stayed this long. Cheers.

P.S. Robinwood Lake is about 25 minutes west of Charlotte Douglas Airport depending on traffic.

Steve Tracy
Gastonia, NC