Falls Lake, Osprey W-Crowned Sp.

On 3/3 I paddled Panther Creek at Falls Lake.  Good finds were 1 Osprey and
nearly every cavity nester inspecting cavities, including unfortunately
starlings.

1 OSPREY
1 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Red-shouldered Hawk
18 Wood Duck (one that allowed me to approach within 30 feet until I
realized it was a decoy left from hunting season)
2 Black Duck
2 Mallard
nearly all sparrows
1 American Woodcock (displaying at Rollingview before I did my frog call
survey)
6 Beaver (one photographed inside lodge!)
1 Muskrat
Upland Chorus Frog
N. Cricket Frog
Spring Peeper (good photos)

On 3/4

Found a Horned Grebe by boat in the lakes center, then checked out the
northern areas.

Knapp of Reeds Creek Impoundment (right in parking area) - 2 white-crowned
Sparrows - similar enough to Brickhouse, it's about time Falls had another
site where they were seen.

Veazy Rd heronry - 8 Great Blue Heron on nest, grackles, Rusty Blackbirds,
calling Barred Owls and one Great Horned.

Brickhouse Road Impoundment - during another frog call survey - 3 Barred
Owls calling to each other, 35 Wood Duck, 2 Mallard, another calling &
displaying American Woodcock, usual asst. of common birds.  Spring Peepers
only thing calling.

Brian Bockhahn
Park Ranger
Falls Lake CBC Compiler