Early Migrant Swallow, etc.

Carolinabirders,

Paula and I did some leisurely birding during the late morning and early
afternoon today in Pitt County.  We were mainly looking for eagles at some
local sites (did see one immature eating a fish), but saw some other
interesting birds.  One Osprey, one Anhinga (apparently the same bird has
been hanging around at least since Christmas), and one early Northern
Rough-winged Swallow.  All these birds were seen at sand-pit ponds just
north of the Tar River near Grimesland, NC.

I couldn't resist the temptation to come home and look up swallow and
anhinga records on my new Avendex program (www.redshanksoftware.com).  What
I found is that this ties the earliest of several listed March records for
Northern Rough-wing in the North Carolina coastal plain.  The other March
7th record comes from the Fayetteville area in 1979.  Several of the listed
March records for Anhinga in the North Carolina coastal plain are from Pitt
County.  In recent years we have also had them in January and February.

John
John and Paula Wright
1953-A Quail Ridge Rd
Greenville, NC 27858