Dreher Island State Park, Newberry Co. SC - 3/8/2003

I spent 4 hours at Dreher Island S.P. in Newberry Co. SC on Lake Murray.
Seen were a few lingering waterfowl; 2 Ruddy Ducks, 2 American Wigeon, 2
Ring-necked Ducks, 1 Hooded Merganser, 1 Black Duck, a bunch of funky
looking Mallards and 2 Wood Ducks.  Also of note was a HUGE raft of 1400
Lesser Scaup.  Shorebirds included 29 Least Sandpipers and a yellowlegs, I
think lesser.
Yesterday, 3/7/2003 I birded around the Columbia WWTP and saw 29 Ruddy
Ducks, 22 Lesser Scaup, 1 Bufflehead, and 4 Ring-necked Ducks.  Also of note
were a few new spring arrivals; 10 Tree Swallows, 6 Northern Rough-winged
Swallows and 20 Barn Swallows along with a couple dozen Purple Martins.  In
the flooded fields along Beckham Swamp Rd. were 46 Wood Ducks, 1 Ring-necked
Duck and 2 Hooded Mergansers along with 75+ pipits, 6 Wilson's Snipe, 4
Greater Yellowlegs and 7 Pectoral Sandpipers.  Think I'll go chase Robin
Carter's Calhoun Co. Lapland Longspur tomorrow.

Mike Turner
Columbia, SC