black swan in Charlotte?

Just got the following email from one of my ornithology students. Sounds like anyone with a very loosely defined life list who wants to add Black Swan should mosey on over to the University City Lake.

Rob Bierregaard

PS Does anyone know of a waterfowl collection that this bird might have escaped from?

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 13:56:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Sopher <kensopher@yahoo.com>
Subject: huge waterbird
To: "R. O. Bierregaard, Jr." <rbierreg@email.uncc.edu>

Dr. B,
  Sorry to email you and bother you during spring
break.  I just wanted to tell you that my wife was
sitting on our deck that overlooks University City
Lake (where we saw the Canvasback), when she shouted,
"Wow, look at that huge bird!".  A huge black bird
with a very long neck landed in the water.  We walked
down to the lake and saw that it was jet black, had a
red bill, and white wing tips.  It had a huge neck
that it held in an "S" except when it was flapping its
wings and showing off.  On the internet, it said that
it was a Black Swan, and that they're native to
Australia!!?  Just thought that maybe you'd find this
interesting.
    Ken Sopher (Ornithology student)