THICK-BILLED MURRE (YES - 3/12/03)

I just arrived at work and I am happy to report that I saw the THICK-BILLED MURRE this morning. Shortly after dawn, I walked about 2 miles into the park via the beach since the park gates were closed until ~8:00am. I had mixed emotions because the fog was so extreme that I could barely see the breaking waves just off the beach. I hoped that the fog may keep the Murre around, but I was not sure if I would be able to see it even if it was there.

Shortly after I arrived just after 7:00am I saw the Murre at the end of the rock jetty and inside along the East side of it. There were about five (5) PURPLE SANDPIPERS on the jetty, and a few Common and Red-throated Loons along the beach.

Around 7:30am I made the long walk back and raced backed to Greenville for work. Rich Boyd, I must have just missed you.

-Brad Carlson
Winterville, NC
BradCarlson1@hotmail.com