Re: Thick-billed Murre Wednesday afternoon

To be clear, this rocky area is behind the Coast Guard station on the
inlet, not in front of it on the ocean.  From the Fort Macon parking lot,
walk to the beach, turn left, and follow the shore to the Coast Guard
wall.  It spent a lot of time near the rocks there but also swam up and
down the beach between the wall and the jetty, about 10 feet from shore.
It seems like it's healthy and spent a lot of time chasing fish around
underwater.

I posted a couple of photos to the Surfbirds site
http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery10
I'll post larger images to my site when I get a chance.  Wayne Irvin got
some close shots on film and Derb Carter got full-frame video.

There were also a dozen or so Razorbills in the area, a couple close to
the jetty.

Awesome bird - hope it sticks around!

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu