NE Horry Cty. et al, 03-13-03

hi y'all,

did fieldwork in some Waccamaw River floodplain forest in NE Horry Cty.
today and in spite of the rain, heard my first Yellow-throated warbler of
the season. it's nice to have to wear boots to walk through a swamp again.
ticks and mosquitos are doing well so far...

a Song Sparrow singing from a roadside fence.

a pair of Blue-gray gnatcatchers foraging together.

on the way back stopped off at a traditional Bachman's Sparrow spot and was
rewarded with 3 singing males (good look at one.)

got home and refilled the feeders. while watching the sparrows show their
appreciation, saw something hopping around the dead stems of one of those
dreadful ol' exotic plants that attract hummers, then dart toward the
backyard. turned out to be a Common Yellowthroat in fine feather. the little
bandit spent the last few minutes of daylight foraging in an Abelia hedge,
occasionally joining the White-throats doing the hop-scratch on the ground
below. cool...

also several Azure sp. along a dirt road. a Cloudless Sulphur in the yard.
Highbush blueberry, Wild plum, Henbit blooming all around. oh yeah, saw Pond
spice blooming in G'town Cty yesterday.

it's almost like spring or something...

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)