Merg. stopover at Beaver Lake

We had 25 Red-breasted Mergansers stop at Beaver Lake in N. Asheville
this morning.  I was driving by at 10:30 and there were 9 females. As I
was watching another group flew in to make it 25 with 2 males.  At one
point they all dove at once, follow the leader style, and then preened
themselves while the males did their mating dance of dips.  I check on
them again at 1:00 and they were gone.  The rain had stopped and the
cloud base had lifted enough to let them get over the mountains.

Tim Lewis
Weaverville, NC
tlewis@buncombe.main.nc.us