ABA Programs for Young Birders

Brete Griffin, Education Director of the American Birding Association (ABA), asked that I forward this to the group.

BILL

==========

News Release - March 20, 2003

American Birding Association

Attention Young Birders and Educators!

The ABA is pleased to announce its 2003 schedule of
education programs and events for young birders. We
also welcome and encourage educators and group leaders
to use these activities and resources in their
classrooms. Please pass this information along to
anyone who may be interested in participating in or
making use of these programs.

ABA/Leica Young Birdersí Workshop in Costa Rica: This
special event has been planned and designed with
Holbrook Travel to maximize the birding educational
experience for young birders. It is being held July
26-August 2, 2003 in Costa Rica. Register now as the
capacity is limited to 21 participants. For more
details and information please visit
http://www.americanbirding.org/programs/ygbconf.htm

ABA Youth Scholarship Program: The ABA continues to
provide scholarship support to help young birders
attend birding camps and conferences all across North
America. In 2002 alone we sponsored 16 young birders
for a total of nearly $9000.00 to help them attend
birding events in Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona, and
Maine. For information and details on how to apply go
to http://www.americanbirding.org/programs/eduscho.htm

ABA/Leica Young Birder of the Year Contest: This
annual contest runs from April through September and
registrations will be accepted as late as June 14 for
this year. We have added a new module, bird
photography, in addition to the original three modules
(field notebook, illustration, and essay) for
participants. Prizes include optics, bird books, and
sponsorships. Visit
http://www.americanbirding.org/programs/ygbcomp.htm

ABA/Leica Birdathons: This year the ABA is offering
two formats for participating in a birdathon. For
those who prefer doing their birdathon as an
ìindividualî, we have brought back BirdQuest. For
birders who prefer the ìteamî approach we have created
Tropicbirds teams for this birdathon strategy.
Complete registration packages are available on our
website at
http://www.americanbirding.org/programs/edutrop.htm

A Birdís-Eye View: This ABA publication is written by
young birders for young birders. Subscriptions for
this bimonthly newsletter are only $6 per year and
classroom rates are available with support from
Swarovski Optik. BEV is a great way to learn about
birds and other young birders. See
http://www.americanbirding.org/publications/bevgen.htm

=====
Brete Griffin - Education Director
American Birding Association
P.O. Box 6599, Colorado Springs, CO
Phone:719-578-9703  Ext.237  80934
http://www.americanbirding.org/
--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to
conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of
the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation,
scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please
visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at
http://www.hiltonpond.org and  http://www.rubythroat.org ("Operation
RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project").

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.