late notice of an early bird

Hey y'all,

I had some e-mail problems a cpl of weeks ago and missed a day's worth of
messages. Today I rec'd a msg from a winter hummer host updating me on who's
still there, namely an ad. female Black-chinned (2 fem. RTHUs appear to have
headed out.) She also mentioned how beautiful the male Ruby-throated is. I
was somewhat baffled by her comment, since no prior mention had been made of
this bird, and asked her when he showed up. She responded that he'd been
there about two weeks, and that she'd sent me an e-mail the day she first
saw him. Just a few minutes ago, she forwarded me her "sent" msg.

To cut to the chase, on March 6 an adult male RTHU showed up in North Myrtle
Beach, SC. And apparently has been "on territory" since.

Wonder where he spent the winter?

He beats the "old" early "migrant" RTHU for Horry County by 8 days. How
'bout dat?

;-)

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)