Horry County horned larks

Hi C-Birders,

I have been seeing Horned Larks at the Bucksport sod farms on an off for
about 10 years now. I think that they are probably permanent residents in
the neighborhood.

Remember that the South Carolina Breeding Bird Atlas is available online at
http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/wild/bbatlas

The map for breeding Horned Larks shows nothing for Horry County. The
closest Atlas records are in Dillon County or Williamsburg County. I do not
know the status of Horned Larks possibly breeding in Brunswick County, NC. I
would think that they do breed occasionally in the farm lands of western
Brunswick County.

Horned Larks are early breeders, so they might well be breeding right now at
the Bucksport sod farm.

The aerial display song of the Horned Lark is so wonderful that I urge all
CarolinaBIrders to go out and find some singing larks near you. They start
singing well before dawn. When I lived in Dallas, TX I used to love to get
out on the prairies and farmlands of central Oklahoma at dawn in May to
listen to the Horned Larks go at it, along with the Western Kingbirds and
coyotes. Fabulous!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com