Swainson's Hawk on Monday

Folks:
	After a long down and back this morning from Raleigh, I saw the
immature Swainson's Hawk at Alligator River NWR from 8:30 to 8:50
(Monday). It was soaring and hanging into the wind over Milltail Road,
not far from Long Curve Road. It remained in a small area for 20
minutes, and I left when it was still soaring over the fields. I didn't
need a scope to see it (200 - 300 feet directly over my head), though I
did spend 5 minutes watching it in the scope. I never saw it in the
fields -- just circling and hanging over them. It had a full crop, so
perhaps it had little interest in feeding. I saw a Red-tailed Hawk dive
on the Swainson's briefly, but otherwise it was by itself (plenty of
Harriers, Turkey Vultures, and Red-tailed Hawks at the refuge, as
usual).

No other birders were with me while I was watching the hawk, though Jeff
Lewis stopped by before 7 am. And, I saw 2 Red Wolves around 6:30 this
morning in fields near the place where the Ash-throated Flycatcher was a
year ago.

--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program